Hi! My name is Heather Ione!
Through doing this type of work I tend to encounter lots of people who are unfamiliar with and curious about things like universal laws, manifestation, energy healing – basically all of the “woo.”
I believe it’s important to educate people on the basics of these modalities so that everyone (not just the “enlightened”) can experience deep healing and ultimately create the life that they desire.
Reiki is one of those life changing modalities. It’s a tool that can be used to heal the mind, the body, and the spirit so that we can ultimately find balance and live a soul-aligned life.
So, if you’re unfamiliar with Reiki, what it is, and what the benefits are, and where it comes from – read on!
This post will cover all of the basics if you’re feeling drawn to explore Reiki Energy Healing.
What is Reiki?
Reiki is a universal life force energy. The word Reiki is made from two Japanese words: ‘Rei’ meaning “God’s wisdom” and Ki which means “energy”.
It’s a directly guided source of vibrational frequency that flows through the Reiki practitioner into the receiver.
This energy helps to heal, balance and align the receiver on all levels: emotionally, mentally, physically, and spiritually.
The way that I have come to understand Reiki is a tool to purify my mind, body, and spirit so that I can live a happier and healthier life.
Where does it come from?
Reiki is an ancient healing energy.
There are plenty of other similar healing modalities that are nearly identical or similar to what is known as Reiki today.
For example, there is Pranic Healing, Crystal Healing, Quantum Healing, Qigong, Longevitology, and Theta Healing. But those are just to name a few of the thousands of energy healing modalities that have been channeled and practiced throughout history.
Energy healing has been around forever. In every part of the world, there is some type of channeled energy healing modality that clears and heals the receiver similarly to Reiki.
However, while energy healing has likely been around since the beginning of time, the exact system that we know and refer to as “Reiki,” was first channeled by a man named Dr. Mikao Usui.
His exact system of energy healing (his principles, symbols, methods, prayers, etc.) was later made popular thanks to his students Chujiro Hayashi and Hawayo Takata.
How does it work?
This was the No. 1 question that I struggled with when I was first getting interested in Reiki. I couldn’t understand how it worked. My logical brain wanted to know exactly where this energy was coming from and how people were able to heal each other.
Unfortunately, no one knows exactly how Reiki works. The hardest truth or lesson that you have to learn in order to use and receive Reiki is that we will never fully understand.
This energy is channeled from higher realms.
In the beginning this just frustrated me even more. I wondered “who” this energy was coming from and how I was opened up to it in my own Reiki attunement.
Side note: In case you’re wondering… Reiki attunement is a process that your Reiki master goes through with you to open up your energy system, so you can channel energy more efficiently. This allows you to heal yourself and others with Reiki.
Reiki is about receiving and surrendering to this universal life force energy. It requires us to release our need to understand and analyze everything and accept that there are just some things that our human minds will never fully understand.
When a person is attuned to Reiki, this healing energy flows through them (the practitioner) through their crown chakra, out of their hands, and into their client.
People have studied Reiki practitioners during sessions and actually found that their hands emit an energy frequency between 7 Hz and 10 Hz! This is actually a frequency associated with physical healing.
Therefore, Reiki practitioners aren’t actually “healers” in the traditional sense of the word. I am not necessarily healing my client. Instead, I’m serving as a channel for the healing energy of Reiki.
The subject draws the energy that the practitioner, myself, channels into themselves where it then flows to where the Reiki is needed to serve a person’s greatest highest good.
This process can be done in person or even from a distance.
As a Reiki practitioner, you intuitively know which areas of the body need to be cleared and healed with Reiki.
Reiki Session Examples:
For example, I had a client where I ended up spending the entire time working on her left thigh. It was what I refer to as the “hot spot” of the session. My hands felt like they didn’t want to leave that area for about 20-30 minutes.
After that I ended up spending awhile focusing on her collar bones, which is usually an area that I never gravitate toward.
After our session ended, I told her what I worked on. Come to find out, she was in a snowmobile accident as a child and experienced severe trauma to her left thigh which was still causing her pain a decade later. She also had multiple sports injuries to her collarbone as a child.
In our session I also intuitively knew that a lot of the anxiety and depression she was experiencing was a result of negative energy being stuck in her body where she had injuries.
In another client session, I spent a lot of time working on the left side of her neck. Come to find out after our session, she had been in a bad car accident several years prior… and guess where her biggest injury was! The left side of her neck!
In another session, I spent half the time working on my client’s heart chakra. I found out that she had gone through a bad breakup where she had discovered that her partner had been having an affair.
She was going through so much and needed to do a lot of work on forgiveness and opening up her heart again.
How does Reiki help? What are the benefits?
The way that I have come to understand how Reiki serves me is this: We hold tension, heavy emotions, and negative/low vibrations in our bodies.
For example, if you’ve experienced lots of bullying or abuse in your childhood, much of that gets stored in the cells of your body.
That’s why people have been known to have breakdowns or crying episodes when getting a deep tissue massage or some type of energy healing. This is also why I’ve gotten myself out of depressive episodes through detoxing with epsom salt baths.
Our cells store the emotions that we experience.
That energy then manifests itself as uncomfortable symptoms in our mind, body, and spirit.
It manifests in countless physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual symptoms creating every alignment known to man.
Mentally and emotionally, this means experiencing things like anxiety, phobias, post-traumatic stress disorder, panic attack, fear, worry, insomnia, repressed emotions, low self-esteem and self-worth, cognitive abilities, memory loss, etc.
Physically, this built up energy can lead to allergies, sickness, anemia, autoimmune conditions, diabetes, inflammatory issues, fertility and childbirth issues, hormonal imbalances, etc. Over time, this could even lead to chronic illnesses as well.
Through receiving Reiki regularly (it’s NOT a “one-time-fix”) you remove the energetic blockages and create balance in your energy centers.
When your energy centers are cleared and balanced you feel better mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually and are able to live an empowered life that is integrity with your soul’s purpose.
Check out some of the benefits of receiving Reiki below!
- Creates an overall relaxed state of the body
- Accelerates the body’s natural healing ability
- Relief of pain, aches, soreness, and inflammation
- Long-term healing of physical trauma, injuries, wounds, and scar tissue
- Regression of illness and disease
- Relief of headaches and migraines
- Cleanses body of toxins
- Supports and boosts the immune system
- Helps balance blood sugar levels and in some cases can help with diabetes
- Relief of joint pain
- Can aid in sleep regulation and help with sleep issues
- Treats symptoms linked with Cancer, AIDS, & HIV
- Compliments medical treatments and other therapies
- Allows the processing of thoughts in a clearer way
- Improves focus, memory, and cognitive function
- Opening of clairvoyance as well as psychic gifts and potential
- Shifts old, outdated thought patterns that keep you in a low vibration or negative energy
- Promotes the healing possibilities with things like depression, anxiety, and paranoia
- Increases feelings of peace, serenity, and calmness
- Helps let go of self-sabotaging thoughts and behaviors
- Allows us to start to heal the mind from limiting beliefs and structures that do not serve our higher good
- Processing of emotional stagnation from trauma, old wounds, and insecurities
- Increases self-confidence
- Creates more positive feelings of happiness, excitement, passion, joy, abundance, creativity, and inspiration
- Purging of repressed emotions and memories that block a healthy energetic flow
- Provides a safe and healthy emotional release (similar to crying or laughing)
- Resolves energetic chords, bonds, and attachments to people, places, things and beliefs systems that are no longer serving the individual
- Sparks a “zest for life”
- Encourages patience and compassion
- Assists the individual in expressing themselves freely
- Resolves heavy emotions such as sadness, grief, pain, loss, anger, and bitterness
- Inspires the individual to follow their passion, dreams, and life purposes
- Provides the confidence needed and pushes individuals to take radical action towards their dreams (take the leap, travel, move to a new state, start the business, blog, podcast, clothing line, company, book, etc.)
- Encourages spiritual growth and curiosity
- Creates spiritual awakening experiences or ignites a Kundalini Awakening where energy flows freely from the root to the crown chakra
- Opens us up to universal consciousness
- Develops psychic or spiritual abilities such as channeling guides, seeing visions, reading minds, etc.
- Allows for ascension of the soul into a higher vibration frequency to become more light
- Purging of limiting belief systems that allows for a higher vibrational existence
- Full chakra alignment to allow for oneness, wholeness and balance in the self and with life
- Helps you to manifest more through practicing the Law of Attraction (as it removes your blocks that are stopping you from using it successfully)
- Breaks down energy blocks to balance the mind, body, and spirit
Many of the above mentioned benefits can be found in “Reiki for Beginners: The Ultimate Guide to Learn the Art of Reiki Healing with Remedies for Physical, Mental, and Spiritual Ailments” by Lisle Kepler. I highly recommend that book if you’re becoming curious about Reiki and want to learn more about the basics!
The rest of my Reiki knowledge has come from conversations with other Reiki practitioners, listening to podcasts, as well as other books and blogs about Reiki.
Please know that this post is NOT suggesting that Reiki is a “cure all” nor can I guarantee that it will heal any of the mentioned symptoms in the mind, body, or spirit.
For some people, Reiki by itself is enough. Others need a variety of methods and therapies to help them heal. I believe that Reiki should be used in combination with other modalities for best results.
Your experience and success with Reiki also depends on how frequently you have Reiki done. Like anything else, Reiki will not work unless you use it. Nor is it a magic pill or a one-time-fix.
Reiki & Life Coaching
(If you would like to buy a Reiki package with 5 or more sessions, please send me a private message.)
- Modules include: Why You’re Struggling with the Law of Attraction; Your Top 3 Manifestation Mistakes; & How to Manifest Everything You Want!
- Learn how to become a deliberate creator of your reality, listen to Wild Manifestation stories, and hear conversations with successful coaches and healers!
Listeners most enjoyed:
Readers also enjoyed: